Occasional muscle cramps or reduced muscle strength are the sensations that you may experience at least once in your life due to a variety of reasons, including the reaction after physical activity, stress and anxiety, or constant fatigue. Mostly, they are not dangerous and don’t require muscle spasms treatment. However, sometimes, it is the way our body signals us on some dysfunction and serious health issues that must be properly handled. Thus, if it is impossible to ignore such cramps and they are quite painful, you must schedule a meeting with the neurologist who is capable of designing the right medical tactic for your healing.
What are the causes of muscle spasms?
Although most muscle jerks are harmless, some prolonged episodes of seizures may be related to serious disorders. The common triggers of discomfort are:
- neurological disorders, such as spinal cord injury or multiple sclerosis;
- hydrodynamic and abnormally low amount of power as of muscular contraction;
- metabolic disorders;
- nutrients deficiency;
- electrolyte disturbances (decrease in the level of magnesium and calcium in the blood);
Complications and risks
With a spasm, the vessels and nerves are constantly pinched, which is why less oxygen and nutrients enter the muscles, and the nerve tissue becomes inflamed. Due to recurrent muscle spasms, diseases such as radiculitis, spinal arthritis, skeletal muscle dystrophy, and curvature of the spine may develop. In addition, pinched nerves threaten to disrupt the work of other internal organs.
When do you have to immediately see a doctor?
If the intensity of the spasm increases, you cannot control it, painful feelings sharpen after taking analgesics and antispasmodics, the duration of the attack last too long, you’ve noticed restriction in movement and inability to move your legs and arms and additional symptoms, such as nausea and numbness in the limbs, opt for professional consultation and medical assistance of a neurologist for muscle spasms treatment development and full recovery.
Accurate diagnosis for comprehensive muscle spasms treatment
When evaluating cramps and weakness, the focus should be on trying to identify a treatable cause of the condition. The medical history should include a description of the spasms, information about their duration, frequency of occurrence, localization, what causes muscle spasms and provoking factors. Signs that may be associated with neurological or muscle disease can include muscle stiffness, paresis, severe painful sensations, and sensory impairment. Having complaints on some of the mentioned above signs, you will need to do multiple tests to pick the right treatment of muscle spasms that might be as follows:
- if diseases of the internal organs that cause muscle cramps are identified, then curing the underlying illness will eliminate the accompanying symptoms, and you will get rid of sudden involuntary muscular contractions and convulsive twitching;
- depending on the location and reasons, therapy may include medication, massage, physiotherapy, topical corticosteroids that are anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving;
- it is unacceptable to take anticonvulsants without the supervision of your doctor. They are usually prescribed only for patients with epilepsy.
If self-care is not efficient and there is not an obvious reason for convulsive movement, you must contact a proficient neurologist who will guide you through your recovery path.