Back pain (synonymous with dorsalgia) is one of the most common reasons for visiting a doctor — the second after acute respiratory diseases. Most often, people go with back pain to doctors such as a neurologist, therapist or general practitioner. The number of people with back pain has increased dramatically in recent years and decades. Among the main back pain causes are:
- pathology of intervertebral discs, including hernia;
- narrowing of the spinal canal;
- the consequences of injuries;
- spondylitis — inflammatory processes in the intervertebral joints.
- sprains of ligaments and muscles associated with heavy loads;
- inflammation of muscle tissue — myositis;
- illnesses of the internal organs;
- pathology of large vessels etc.
While doctors studying back pain, they identify the common back pain causes that can provoke the development of pain syndrome:
- severe physical overload, resulting in overstretching of muscles and ligaments;
- uncomfortable or static postures that a person takes for a long time;
- untrained muscles and their overload, inactivity;
- trauma and microtrauma;
- diseases of the internal organs;
- joint pathology;
Back pain signs need to be taken seriously. The reason for going to the doctor should be situations when the pain does not go away for several days.
Back pain in various parts of it
Localization of painful sensations can tell a lot about their cause. The upper back pain can result from spine illness, trauma, muscle spasm, cardiovascular disease, tumors, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. The most common localization is the lower back pain. If the epicenter is in the lower left back pain or lower right back pain, the list of probable causes includes, in addition to sickness of the spine:
- kidney pathology;
- disruption of the intestines;
- spasms or inflammation in the pelvic organs;
- physiological reasons, in particular pregnancy;
- pinching of the sciatic nerve.
The left-side back pain or right-side back pain may indicate damage to the root of the spinal cord, kidney.
Back pain symptoms
The symptoms of dorsalgia depend on the cause, mechanism of development, and the presence of concomitant diseases. For nonspecific pain, the following back pain symptoms are characteristic:
- aching or pulling pain, sometimes tightening,
- aggravated by stress or movements of the spine, as well as in certain postures,
- may decrease when kneading or rubbing muscles, as well as after resting in a comfortable position;
- possible pain in the sides of the back or middle back pain,
- when probing, compaction, changes in contours, tension are determined, but there are no disturbances in sensitivity in the painful area.
When the nerve root is compressed (radiculopathy), the pain differs in its intensity, can be shooting, often radiates to the leg, and in the limb it can be stronger than in the back.
What is the Back pain treatment?
If the localization of pain and the source of pain impulses could be identified, then local therapy is used — blockades, intradiscal influences and other procedures. Its main goal is to reduce the intensity of pain syndrome and maintain the quality of life.
Also, as in acute pain, drugs from the NSAID group are prescribed, including Motrin, other analgesics, muscle relaxants, and B vitamins. Antidepressants are recommended as needed. Back pain treatment should be carried out by a qualified specialist, exercise therapy is prescribed. Psychotherapeutic and physiotherapeutic methods of treatment are used.